I was always in love with planes and flying but thought I would be scared to death to try it out myself. Then, I flew and absolutely loved it. And I was surprised, it wasn't scary at all. Explaining to myself that it was because of big machines, I tried a small Cessna 150. No fear, but an incredible excitement. Especially while spinning. And then, I realized, I must fly. Myself. For real, not just in my thoughts. And so I begun to take classes of how to be airborne. In a plane, this time.
Curious how it's going? Follow me!

Thursday, August 15, 2013

My First Landing


I did it! I did it! I did it! After almost nine hours of training (where one hour was more like a presentation though), and after nearly 40 landings, I finally got it! It wasn't pretty, but I sat this baby on the ground. Funny, how take-offs and landings are still my favorite things in flying. Maybe because take-offs are always new fascinating beginnings, invitations to new adventures, and landings... well, landings have double-meaning... You need to land in order to take off, that's for sure. And second... it's always so nice to come back to the daisies.

So I finally was able to hold the bird more stable. No sudden movements, just very very gently, gliding through the wind. I still have lots of problems with the rudder. I seem to have difficulty with feeling it. I have an impression I step on it pretty decent, when my instructor screams: right rudder, press the rudder! And I wonder, why is he screaming when I thought I was doing such a good job on the rudder. And then, I wonder, if I pressed it at all. Rudder in a glider requires more pressure, it's easier, because you can feel it better. Here, it's a more sophisticated gentle touch.
Well, this skill too is on its way to me.

Pattern almost good. I'm not sure about the distance from the actual airport but maybe it's not the worst.

And the unhappy trim. Still cannot get the feeling. In the air, it isn't so bad but when I try to land - nto good, not good at all.

Next time: more landings.

My instructor is insane and wants me to fly solo very soon. Very insane. But... the funny things is, that I am starting to actually dream about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment